President and Chief Executive Officer, Bristol Hospital and Healthcare Group
Mr. Barwis joined Bristol Hospital and Health Care Group, Inc. as its President and Chief Executive Officer in August 2006. Kurt brings over thirty years of management and leadership experience in community hospital, management consulting and entrepreneurial business environments to his current position. He earned a Bachelor of Business Administration, Major in Accounting, from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Business Administration Degree, Major in Finance, from LaSalle University. Kurt is a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives, was a licensed Certified Public Accountant from 1999 to 2007 and is a registered Connecticut lobbyist.
Prior to joining Bristol Hospital, Mr. Barwis was the Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of St. Mary’s Hospital of St. Mary’s County, Leonardtown, MD. He also served as the System Vice President of Managed Care and Business Development at Union Hospital in Elkton, MD, and Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer of Renaissance Technology, Inc. in Newtown, PA. Mr. Barwis’s public accounting experience was with Coopers & Lybrand’s, Philadelphia, from 1984 to 1987. In addition to conducting audits of hospitals at C & L, Mr. Barwis was a Senior Reimbursement Specialist.
Mr. Barwis is very active in a number of organizations serving in a variety of board level positions, including:
- Connecticut Hospital Association (CHA) Board of Trustees, CEO Forum Chairman
- Connecticut Hospital Association Committee on Hospital Finance
- Connecticut Association of Healthcare Executives (CTAHE) Board of Directors, Regent-elect, Past -President and Co-chair of the Sponsorship and Audit Committees.
- Qualidigm Board of Directors – The Medicare Quality Improvement Organization contractor for the state of Connecticut.
- Central Connecticut Chamber of Commerce, Co Chairman of the Legislative Committee
Kurt is a resident of Bristol, Connecticut. He and his wife, Jean, have been married thirty-two years and have two children. One of whom is a student member of ACHE!